Planning really is the key to success with a challenge like the Whole 30 – or really, just eating healthy in general. And perhaps there’s no other time when the payoff is sweeter than first thing in the morning. I don’t know about you, but the last thing we want to do in the morning is cook. So we’ve moved to cooking breakfast casseroles, egg dishes with an extra kick of meat and veggies. We make a big batch and it lasts for days. This version turned out as one of our faves – we’ll definitely make it again. Topped with a little chunky salsa – delish!
Meat Lover’s Breakfast Casserole
- 3 turkey sausages (unprocessed/drug-free if you can find it – check labels, many have sugar!)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (grass-fed preferred, can use ground turkey or chicken)
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 cups spinach, sliced
- 12 eggs
- italian spices, sun dried tomatoes, salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 385f
- Cook sausage in a pan, browing all sides, set aside to cool – then slice on diagonals
- Cook ground beef, breaking up and browning
- Coat casserole dish liberally with coconut oil
- Layer sausage pieces flat on bottom of casserole dish
- Add cooked beef on top, sprinkle spices on top
- Add mushrooms, then spinach. Top with sun-dried tomatoes
- Blend eggs in a separate bowl (I use a magic bullet)
- Before placing in oven, press surface evenly with a spatula or flipper. You should be able to see egg mixture coming through the spinach.
- Cook for approx. 20 – 25 minutes, shaking pan to check if middle is firm.
Feel free to experiment with different meat and vegetable combinations but beware of making the body of the casserole too deep. If your eggs don’t show through the top layer, you’ll end up with a dry crispy top.
Give it a try and let us know how you like it. Feel free to share your favorite combinations in the comments below.